Alcázar de Segovia, Spain
I tried to make something in the style of the British Islands picture that is floating around Tumblr because apparently no one knows this kind of stuff.
Some additional explanations:
- The Nordic Region: A historical and cultural region that is made up of the countries Finland, Sweden, Norway, Iceland and Denmark as well as the autonomous regions Åland(FIN), Greenland(DK) and the Faroe Islands(DK).
- Scandinavia: A cultural, lingual and historical region composed of Sweden, Denmark and Norway. This has been debated over and over again by people who want to exclude this country or add that country but both the Swedish government and the Nordic Council have confirmed the above countries as the right ones.
- The Kingdom of Denmark: A country composed of the titular Denmark and it’s former colonies turned autonomous regions Greenland and the Faroe Islands. Used to include Iceland as well before they became independent in 1944.
- The Republic of Finland: A country that contains the titular Finland and the Åland Islands, an autonomous region that only speaks Swedish. Caused a huge conflict in the 1910-20’s when Finland became independent and Åland wanted to become Swedish again.
- Swedish Speaking: Regions where Swedish is the majority language. Certain regions of Finland speak Swedish and/or Finland Swedish but it’s not the majority language in Finland.
- North Germanic Language Group: (Not pictured) The Language group that Norwegian, Danish, Swedish, Icelandic and Faroese make up. They can all be traced back to Old Norse and are somewhat similar, though not similar enough for them to be interchangeable all that often.
(There are several other groupings, both historical and current, that could be explained but that’s something for another day.)
And now you know, take care!